- Always wash your hands before you start preparing foods and after you handle foods. Also wash if you touch your hair or face, and after handling uncooked meats.
- Always place raw meat on a separate plate.
- Be careful with hot items. Use pot holders that are padded and dry. Keep towels and pot holders away from open flame.
- Never add water to a dish that has hot oil in it. The oil could splatter and burn.
- Separate sharp knives when washing dishes. Let hot pans cool before you try to clean them.
- Clean up! Wash all pots, pans, utensils and work surfaces thoroughly. Bacteria can linger and cause future illness.
Patrol Dish Washing
“Cleanup Patrol” scouts do these tasks:
- Boil a pot of water
- Set up 3 bins: 1) hot water mixed with cold water and liquid soap to wash dishes. 2) sterilizing agent added to remaining hot water for rinse water. 3) wash water for personal mess kits.
- Clean pots using bins 1 and 2.
All Patrol members do these tasks:
- Each scout wipes off their own eat mess kits.
- Wash personal mess kits in bin 3 and rinse in bin 2.