Tree nuts are nuts that grow on trees. Peanuts are in a different category (legume family) since they grow underground. Up to half of individuals allergic to peanuts will also be allergic to tree nuts.
List of Tree Nuts:
Almond, Beech nut, Brazil nut, Butternut, Cashew, Chestnut, Chinquapin, Coconut, Filbert, Ginko nut, Hickory nut, Lichee nut, Macadamia, Pecan, Pine nut, Pili nut, Pistachio, Sheanut, Walnut.
These Foods may containTree Nuts:
- baked goods – breads, muffins, pastries, cookies, cakes, doughnuts, frosting
- snack foods – granola, granola bars, rice cakes, snack mixes, crackers, caramel corn, ice cream
- Asian foods
- Pesto, pasta, barbecue sauce
- salads and salad dressings, honey
- Candy – candy bars, brittle, chocolate, fudge, pralines, turtles, clusters
- Fish dishes
*nutmeg is safe to eat. The name sounds like a “nut” but it is actually made from the seed of the fruit that is grown on a tropical evergreen.
Nut free manufacturer