- For Scout through First Class
- First choice – the Patrol Leader (not the Assistant Patrol Leader)
- Second choice – The Senior Patrol Leader and Assistant Senior Patrol Leaders
- Last resort – The Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster
The youth leader signing off on the advancement should be at least one rank higher than the Scout seeking the signature.
Brothers should NOT sign off on advancements by their brothers!
- Star, Life, and Eagle
- The SM signs off on the requirements – this can be done during the Scoutmaster Conference. Bring documentation to show your completion of the requirements.
- All Ranks
- The SM will sign off on all requirements to “show Scout spirit” as part of the SM Conference.
Please let the Patrol Leaders have the primary responsibility for signing off on the advancements through First Class. Let’s let the youth leaders take the lead here!
If you are signing off on advancement (PL, ASPL, SPL, ASM, SM)
- PLEASE NOTE: The Scout is expected to meet the requirements as they are stated – no more and no less. He is expected to do exactly what is stated in the requirements.
- If it says “show or demonstrate,” that is what he must do. Just telling about it isn’t enough.
- The same thing holds true for such words as “make,” “list,” “in the field,” and “collect,” “identify,” and “label.”